Sunday, April 8, 2012

Excuses, Excuses


Ken and I are leaving for a short trip tonight. We will be in Las Vegas for 2 days, the Grand Canyon for 2 days and then in Ogden, Utah at Ken's sister's house (Aunt Jen) for 2 days. I am really looking forward to getting away and hope that it's not our last trip before the baby arrives. (Positive thoughts today)

The only thing I am not looking forward to is trying to hide the news from Jen, which I don't think is going to work. Already she has guessed that I am with child. On a phone call with Ken she mentioned that she was going to get us drunk. Ken replied that I had a skin infection and was taking antibiotics so I couldn't drink. She said, "You mean Carrie's pregnant!" Ken said, "No, I mean that Carrie has a rash all over her body and can't drink." But Jen persisted. She's onto us.

So, not only would I have to make excuses for not drinking but I also would have to make an excuse for not eating oysters and tartare and sushi. What do I say to that? What excuses have you used with family and friends when before you were willing to spread the good news?

Mostly, I don't want anyone to know yet because I haven't even been to my Ob/Gyn to confirm that this isn't an imaginary pregnancy. But really, I haven't confirmed that my baby is totally safe and out of harm's way due to my skin eating virus. I don't want to have to make a bunch of sad calls if I were to not make it through my first trimester. "Sorry but, no go!" I am not ready for the cries of joy and the "Congratulations!" and the "How do you feel, are you nauseous?" types of questions. I'm just not ready yet. I need time to be with myself, my body, my thoughts. I need time.

No comments:

Post a Comment